Contrary to what it looks like, I usually wear my hair up 5 days out of the week. On wash days, I typically set my hair in bantu knots to stretch my roots, wear them out for a day, maybe two, then it's back to the usual bun, braid, or updo. I promise you that my hair life is far less than ordinary and really quite boring. Any who, here's how I washed my hair this week:
- Pre-Shampoo- I gently detangled with my fingers and slathered on extra virgin coconut oil.
- Shampoo- with Bobeam Rootz Herbal Hair Grower Shampoo bar. (Tutorial: How to use a shampoo bar)
- Extreme deep condition- I deep conditioned with Jessicurl Deep Treatment on my roots and Joico K-pak Reconstructor conditioner on my ends. Then I massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my hooded dryer for an hour.
- Rosemary Green Aloe Hair Rinse- After rinsing the conditioner, I applied 1 part steeped green tea + 1 part aloe vera juice + 2 springs of rosemary, using a narrow tip applicator to my strands--focusing on the roots. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed.
- Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
- Air Dried- to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
- Leave ins- I used the LOC method, starting with a little extra virgin coconut oil, Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, + my kitchenista Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter, I tension blow dried my roots on cool. Then using a dab of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on my ends, I bantu knotted in about 10 sections.
Happy curls! When I stick to the basic ABCs of bantu knots, my curls are usually happy go lucky. When I don't...well...it's not all pixie dust and rainbows. I'm really glad that I deep conditioned with a little Joico K-pak on my ends. After writing this post, I realized it's been a while since my last protein treatment. This wash should buy me a little more time. It's been a while since my last straightening/trim too---about 3 months I think. I probably should do that soon too. Too much to do never enough time to do it in!
How was your last wash day?
The Wash Day Experience Linkup RULES
- Healthy Hair is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted.
- Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button below which links back to The Wash Day Experience page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.
- Encourage the wash day experience contributor that linked up directly before you with an inspiring comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. Don’t worry, the chica who links up after you will do the same; comment love for everyone!