Do you want to run a 5K but don't know how to start? Or maybe you really want a wingman and none of your friends/family are interested? No local 5K races? Perhaps you haven't found a race that fits into your schedule. Well today on #FitnessFriday, I'm sharing how you can run a 5k race regardless of your fitness level, location, with anyone, and at anytime. Welcome to the world of virtual 5ks and here's how to do it:
- Get Registered: Find a race online and just say yes! Don't know where to start? Join Black Girls Run and sign up for their WalkB4URUN! Virtual 5K
- Start Training: Black Girls RUN! has a super cool, effective, and simple training plan that I recommend to everyone. You can download yours here. Plus it's totally free! #woot You start my walking on week 1. You'll end running on week 12.
- Map Your Route: Whether you're running in your neighborhood, at the park, or on the trails, the very last thing that you want to do is not complete the full 3.1 mile race. If you're not sure where to run, meet up with your local BlackGirlsRun group for training sessions and the beautiful encouragement. You can find a group in your city by visiting here
- Get your bib: After you register, most virtual races provide a link where you can download your bib. Race bibs are like badges of honor---I never run a race without one!
- Run your kinda race: It doesn't matter if you run a 15 minute race or you crawl a 151 minute race. The goal is to finish. Plus you already know that you can do it!
- Submit your results and do an embarrassing happy dance: Follow the directions that your race provides. Typically you have to upload your time on your hosts virtual roster. Then cabbage patch, dougie, or butterfly! You did it! Next, stalk the mail man for your race bling! It's typically delivered 3-4 weeks after the race. I HEART race bling!
- Fitness is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted---we not about that life!
- Inspire the Fitness Friday contributor that linked up directly before you with an encouraging comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. (Don’t worry, the chica who links up after you will do the same; So everyone gets love!).
- Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button which links back to the Fitness Friday page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.