This week's #washdayexperience is all about smooth and sleek roller sets! I bet you're thinking..."what-the-whaty KLP don't do roller sets!" And...well, you're right. I don't. #1 I suck at them. I know and understand my limitations. #2 The thought of sitting under the dryer forever and a day makes me want to bang my head up against a wall. #3 I'm about half way unpacked---but I've yet to find my hooded dryer anyway. I think that's a sign. Anywhos, since last week's perm rod set was pretty successful, I gave it another try. Here's how it went:
- Extreme deep condition- I fully detangled my hair then applied Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner to my roots and Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe to my ends. Then I massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and let sit for a few hours.
- Tea Rinse- using 2 green tea bags steeped in 2 cups of water + 2 tbsp of glycerin.
- Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
- Air Dried- I applied a bit of Chi Silk Infusion to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
- Leave ins-I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner to moisturize, extra virgin coconut oil to seal, then set my hair on about 20 orange perm rods and left in overnight
The Method Behind the Madness:
I love protein layering because it gives my ends a boost of strength and my roots a slap of moisture. I'd gotten away from protein layering for a few weeks now, but I noticed more breakage than I was comfortable with over the last week. So, fingers crossed that this wash day nipped it in the bud. I do kinda wonder if this is my hair's way of saying that I need to pick a texture and roll with it. I mean is it even realistic to be able to prevent major breakage at the line of demarcation for 64 weeks and counting? Hmmm....
My Perm Rod Sets-
I loved my perm rod set last week, but this one is even better! I did a couple of things differently and broke a bunch of the setting rules in the process. First, I set on damp hair instead of soaking wet hair. Look y'all---my hair hates wet detangling. I know, I know, I know---to get the smoothest longest lasting results you should totally set your hair soaking wet. *Kanye shrug* I just can't get with it. I want smooth hair but not at the cost of crazy breakage. Second, I used my usual creamy leave in. You're supposed to go with a lighter leave in for happy bouncing curls but...see what had happened was. Well. I don't have an excuse for this. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE Jessicurl Too Shea. So I used it very sparingly. Third, I still sealed. Last week, I noticed that my hair didn't retain it's wash day moisture for as long as it usually does. I think that sealing will resolve that. Even with breaking all the dang on rules, I was able to get frizz free smooth curls with stretched roots. Hmph. It just goes to show that you have to do what you think is best for your hair. Plus, some rules are meant to be broken. I totally forgot to use my Good Hair Is...Resilient Styling Foam *Argh* to give the curls a little more hold. I guess that there's always next time!
Too bad when I woke up this morning it was raining. #epicfail. I threw on a hat and kept it moving. In a few hours, I'm sure that I'll look like a wet poodle. Sometimes I'm convinced that the universe is out to get my hair!
How did your #washdayexperience treat you?
Good Hair is...Love! Enter today to win a Good Hair In A Bottle gift pack.