I was simply obsessed with my perm rod curls last week. #1 My roots were smooth. Chile, like I just got a relaxer smooth. I was actually able to see my scalp through my roots! I know that this might not be a big deal to you, but when you haven't seen your scalp in months because it's hidden under several ends of curly roots---you get pumped. #2 My hair was uber moisturized. I only moisturized and sealed twice in 7 days. Now before you call the hhj-police on me, I want you to know that I didn't moisturize because my hair didn't feel dry at all. #3 Old perm rod curls make THE BEST curly #iwokeuplikethis buns ever! Nonetheless, I went for the three-peat this week. Same style, Pretty much the same products. But lots o pictures. Here's how my #washdayexperience went:
- Pre-Shampoo- I slathered my hair in extra virgin coconut oil whilst I detangled. I put my hair in about 6 bantu knots to keep my hair sectioned.
- Cleanse- I haven't shampooed in a few weeks, so I diluted a little Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Shampoo with water and applied to my roots only using a narrow tip applicator bottle on each section.
- Protein Treatment- Next, I applied Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe from root to tip.
- Deep condition- After I rinsed the protein treatment, I applied Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner from root to tip, then I massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and let sit for a few hours.
- Air Dried- I applied a bit of Chi Silk Infusion to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
- Leave ins-I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner to moisturize, extra virgin coconut oil to seal and Good Hair Is Resilient Styling foam for a soft hold, then set my hair on about 35 orange perm rods and left in overnight
Whilst, I used the same products this week, my technique was a little different. It's been a million years since my last shampoo (okay---I'm just kidding it's been like 4-5 weeks) and I knew that it was time to give my scalp and hair a fresh start. Matrix Hydrasource has got to be the gentlest shampoo that I've ever used. Even diluted, it has a good lather and definitely doesn't strip my hair. I was also overdue for a hard protein treatment. And of course, I'm all out of Nexxus Emergencee. So I settled for Joico K-Pak and followed it all up with a deep conditioning with Matrix Hydrasource conditioner. K-Pak left my hair feeling strong and Hydrasource gave me the softness.
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in the past but, on wash day, I do everything in sections. EVERYTHING. From the beginning, as I detangle, I pull my hair into large bantu knots and work section by section applying product, rinsing, and even styling.
|L: Before with conditioner R: After rinsing|
I actually took some shots of my disgusting wet dog looking hair. Nothing about my wet mop appeals to me. I mean, look at the shrinkage! (I had to stretch it a bit so that you could see the texture) Look at how crummy my ends look when wet! *hangs head* I feel totally vulnerable and naked now that I've shown you. I guess that I'm a big girl now. The only good news is that once I stretch my hair---It all looks decent again.
Back to the results...It's official. I'm in love with perm rods. The orange rods give me the perfect sized curl, the tension smooths my roots (I mean, can you even tell that I'm 66 weeks post relaxer?), and the way that my hair holds on to moisture after the fact is extraordinary. I still suck at installing them. It still takes me well over an hour. But to only have to fiddle with my hair once a week? Meh...I think that I'm #winning.
Are you participating in 30 days without heat?
I am! Shoutie to Jeni, Jay, and Tiki for this amazeball challenge!