I can't believe that it's been 6 months since the last time that I straightened my hair! I'm utterly flabbergasted. Once a upon a time, I used to flat iron daily---then I cut back to weekly---now I'm down to three times a year. I think that it's safe to say that my hair is benefiting from much less direct heat but I'm actually excited for the change!
Straightening my hair is a tedious process. So, I have a love/annoyed relationship with my straight hair. Detangling is most of the annoyance. I ditched my combs for finger detangling this year, so I find that when it's time to straighten, I have to combat tons of tiny single strand knots. I work slowly---probably toooooo slowly trying to be gentle and use a little less manipulation. It's definitely a 2-3 hour labor of love. Here's how I straighten my hair:
- Pre-shampoo- I started by fully detangling using my fingers and slathering each section with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner. Pre-shampooing with conditioner elongates my curly roots which makes everything else on wash day easier.
- Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the conditioner completely. I clarified with KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo to remove build up and then once more shampoo with KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo to get my hair squeaky clean. Clean hair = light bouncy straightened hair.
- Extreme Deep Condition- Next, I deep conditioned with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner then put my hair into 6 loose bantu knots, covered with a plastic cap and let it sit for a few hours. In hindsight, I should have sat under my hooded dryer or heat cap to help the conditioner penetrate more effectively.
- Leave ins- After I fully rinsed each section, I wrapped my hair in a cotton t-shirt to remove some of the water. Then I applied a little It's 10 Miracle Leave In then Chi Silk Infusion. Then I finished by cool air tension drying with my Solia Blower.
- Flat iron- I coupled my Ferrum Iron with a Sedu Carbon Flat Iron Comb to do the comb and chase method as I flat ironed my hair in 1/4' sections. Two passes were enough to get my hair smooth and super straight. But it still took forever to do.
My hair has body and is soooo soft. I've never been able to say either in the past when I was flat ironing weekly.It's actually voluminous. And I LOVE IT! My bangs are still thriving hoovering between BSL and MBL. By my ends definitely took a hit from my detangling debacle a few months ago. This straightening session was totally bitter sweet.
I gave myself about an inch trim as I flat ironed and slightly rolled the flat iron around the ends for my feathered wavy Christmas Eve look. I promise length check pictures are coming down the pipeline. But now---it's time for me to go sing happy birthday to Jesus, celebrate, and enjoy my minions/hubby!
Merry Christmas chicas!