After wearing my hair straight for two weeks and not washing---my scalp felt pretty darn disgusting. I wish that I could promise that I won't do it again. But...I probably will whenever I straighten my hair again. One week is just not long enough after putting in that much work to get it straight. LOL.Here's how my first natural hair #WashDayExperience went:
- Pre-shampoo- I started by gently detangling using my fingers and slathering each section with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner.
- Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the conditioner completely. I clarified with KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo to remove the icky build up that has accumuated on my scalp and then once more shampoo with KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo to get my hair squeaky clean.
- Protein Treatment- Next, I applied Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe from root to tip, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap for 20 minutes.
- Extreme Deep Condition- Then, I deep conditioned with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner then put my hair into 6 loose bantu knots, covered with a plastic cap and got comfortable under my heat cap again for about an hour.
- Air dry- After rinsing the deep conditioner, I blotted my hair with a cotton t-shirt, applied a little extra virgin coconut oil in sections then wrapped it in the tshirt to dry a bit more.
- Leave-ins- I applied a little Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner and a dab of my hair butter then bantu knotted my hair in about 10 sections.
I have no clue why or when I stopped pre-shampooing with conditioner but omgosh I love it! My hair absorbed the conditioner in like 0.1 seconds and instantly reverted into curls. And by reverted, I mean shrunk from shoulder length to neck length. Shrinkage is real y'all. So so real.
It will take a few months (and a few mini-trims) before my curl pattern reveals itself. So in the meantime to encourage, define, and strengthen my curls, I'm sticking with my go to protein conditioner Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe. I'm not sure yet how often I'll use it. But at the least, you can expect to see it once a month.
My hair felt like butter as I rinsed the Matrix Hydratherapie deep conditioner from my hair. Ultra smooth, silky and super curly. I was surprised at how elongated my hair felt in the shower. But the biggest surprise was---NO TANGLES. Not one. Let me tell you this---I would have chopped my hair sooner if I knew that it would get rid of the tanlges like this. I honestly can not remember a #washdayexperience were I had not one tangle in my hair after rinising.
Another plus- much much much less shed hair. On the right is my lost hair from a few wash days ago pre-chop and on the left, post-chop. The difference is actually shocking to me.
Because this week is going to be hectic, I went for a low maintenance yet super stylish high top knot. I'll have to give y'all a full tutorial on this style soon. It's super simple. I just pull my hair into a high puff, twist it into 4 sections then wrap them around to form a bun. I hope that made sense...
How was your #washdayexperience?