After reading about all of the lust worthy protective styles that you guys were sporting last week---I kinda felt left out! So this week, I skipped the bantu knots, perm rods, and twist outs for something simpler. Here's how my #washdayexperience went:
- Pre-Shampoo- To start, I gently detangled and applied Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle from root to tip. I massaged in a little extra virgin coconut oil to seal in the conditioner, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap again for about an hour.
- Shampoo- I rinsed the pre-shampoo treatment then shampooed my hair with Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Shampoo once.
- Protein Treatment- After using a cotton t-shirt to absorb most of the water, I applied Joico K-Pak Revitalisant (the cheaper thinner cousin of K-Pak Revitaluxe). I left it on for about 20 minutes before...
- Extreme Deep Condition- rinsing and applying Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm + a little coconut oil. I covered my hair with a plastic cap, sat under my heat cap for an hour, then left it in over night.
- Air dry- After rinsing the deep conditioner, I blotted my hair with a cotton t-shirt, applied a little extra virgin coconut oil in sections then wrapped it in the t-shirt to dry a bit more.
- Leave-ins- My hair was about 80% dry when I applied a mist of Nexxus Humctress Luxe Leave In, Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner and a dab of my hair butter then I faux banded my hair in 4 sections to stretch it.
I dusted my ends again. I know I know. I'm borderline obsessed with trimming right now. But I've come to terms with a few things in the last couple of weeks:
- I love love love this long bob cut. It's not too short and it's not too long. I can still get my hair into a high bun and a cute little low bun. I love it so much that the thought of growing it out makes me really sad.
- I'm probably going to end up at the same length at the end of 2015 that I was at the end of 2014. Because...
- I'm going to keep dusting and made do a mini chop or two until I'm certain that all of the texlaxed bits are gone.
- I have no idea how long that's gonna take. LOL
I caught a lot of flack when I professed overnight deep conditioning last year. So here's the thing: do what works best for your hair, your lifestyle, and your goals. If that doesn't include overnight deep conditioning---you're a lucky chica! And if it does---woot woot for you! There are no right and wrong answers. Just do you!
To stretch my hair, I faux banded it in 4 sections. I've been faux banding my hair for almost a year now and it's my favorite way to elongate my hair without heat. The process is incredibly simple. I just detangle in sections, apply product then stretch the hair and hold it with a hair clip. Uber simple!
To style, I opted for a 5 minute knotted updo. If you struggle with braids, are transitioning and want to hide your ends, or just looking for an easy protective style then this is the updo for you! Here's how I did it:
- Make a heavy side part then position your bangs behind your ear (if necessary).
- Starting that your crown, grab two large sections of hair.
- Loop the section into a knot. (Like you would tie two pieces of string together) Place a bobby pin through the center of the knot to secure.
- Hold on to your previous sections, plus gather a little more hair in each hand. Loop another knot. Secure with a bobby pin.
- Repeat step 4 again and again until you reach your nape. I did 4 knots. If your hair is longer or you use smaller sections, you may need to do more knots.
- Tuck the reminding hair around your final knot and secure with a bobby pin on each side.