RELATED: How To Get The Perfect High Puff
Ribbon Elastic Hair ties are stupid easy to make; literally effortless. If you can tie a knot---then you can make a boat load of hair ties. Personally, these are my favorite hair ties for banding my wash and go. Banding with these hair ties doesn't cause breakage and prevents those weird indents that I get from regular hair ties.
RELATED: Perfecting Your Wash and Go with Banding
Benefits of Ribbon Elastic Hair Ties
- No metal to snag your hair on
- Incredibly gentle
- Stupid cheap
- Always the perfect size
- Customize your color
Here's what you'll need:
5/8" (or larger) Fold Over Elastic
Ruler/ Measuring Tape
Optional: Candle flame/lighter to seal the ends
How To Make Ribbon Elastic Hair Ties
- Measure your fold over elastic. For medium hair ties, I used 11" of elastic. Large (think for your high puff) I used 20". And for headbands I used 28".
- Cut your desired length. Regular scissors will due but fabric scissors are best. Fabric scissors are very sharp which will give your cut a clean edge.
- Match the ends together with the shiny side up.
- Make a knot at the ends then slide the knot closed leaving about 1/2" at the end.
Viola. You're done. No more headaches from your headband being too tight and your puff or bun will still be slicked for the 'gawds.
Have your say! Would you use DIY Ribbons Hair ties?